Popular Posts

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal (a novel)


Long title. Not a very long book considering it covers Jesus’s life from when he is 6 years old through to that point in his life when they made that movie The Passion of the Christ. 31, was it? Whilst not crazy about it, I think overall I really liked it (the book I mean), but of course I cannot just simply say “I like it” or “dislike it” because I am just not cut out that way.

I would say this was otherwise a pretty damn funny book. And the reason I would not say no to a book of this caliber is because I listened to it on Audiobook. I have been doing Audiobooks for a while now and they help break up the nasty, grueling drive I make to reach Phoenix every other weekend to see my lady and on other occasions, hockey team. I keep track for my purposes which of these reviews I Audiobook, and the prior review of The Drawing of the Three I was listening to, a gory enough scene to make me not want to drive listening to it anymore, forced me to turn it off and when I looked up BAM! Car accident. So I switched to humorous books instead, like this one. And well, here is the review of that.

Getting to the meat of the book, this was a very blasphemous story about reviving Levi so he could write a gospel about Joshua (a much better translation of Yeshua’s name) as he spent nearly every moment by his side growing up, through adolescence and into adulthood. Levi, who is called Biff, is an extremely loyal yet crude, unsophisticated simpleton with a foul mouth and a temperament for blasphemy. The story primarily involves their quest for the Three Wise Men at Joshua’s birth, which we learn are a Magician, a Buddhist and a Hindu Yogi. Joshua and Biff spend years with each, and each person teaches him more about how to become the Messiah, whilst he more than masters what they have taught him and in much less time than anyone expects.

Biff, during all this, is helping Joshua by continuing to be an example of what he will never be, a true debauchery fanatic and the only one with vice and terrible qualities enough to bail Joshua and him out of trouble. Most of this is really fun, and when not fun, blasphemous (which is as good as fun, most times).

The twists of what Joshua learns from these people and how it applies to his miracles he performed in the Bible are an extension of the humorous-blasphemy I enjoy. The idea that Jesus learned all that we associate with his mystical side from pre-existing sources by consolidating different aspects of Sun-Tzu, the Bahgavad Gita, Tao Te Ching, Diogenes’’ Cynicism and various other philosophies, is just great to me.

Still, not a great book in my opinion. Felt like it was great when Joshua spends time with the last Yeti, and the jokes that Biff has about that creature, but the end came a bit abruptly and was a bit too unbelievable for my liking. Really, the final scene comes out of nowhere and is completely unnecessary. And what is supposed to be the takeaway from it? That if you serve Joshua as a means to his ends you all get second chances? Unless his other friends didn’t like you? Really the bit about Judas and how it ties into the resolution/conclusion left me a bit confused.

Anyway, if you like to laugh and love blasphemy, it is worth reading, but I do not otherwise have too many great things to say about it. Good enough, I suppose. I will leave you with one last bit of religious history that always makes me chuckle, fan art from an African on Jesus.

3 comments:

  1. Funny, my four-word Lamb synopsis/sales pitch to my sister in the library this afternoon was "very sweet casual blasphemy." I read it a few weeks ago and found it left me with a warm, fuzzy feeling, sort of surprising considering the ending. It was abrupt, but I thought that worked well. The central mystery of the book had to do with how Biff got written out of everything after the fact (particularly after he's entrenched with the Apostles), so I expected something sort of tragic.

    Casual blasphemy is sort of a favorite genre of mine, but sometimes it gets a little heavy and this was a nice contrast. Sis is taking it on vacation next week on my recommendation as a good beach-type read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty spot on there. It is light hearted blasphemy, so it's not like you need to be a strict belligerent atheist to enjoy it. Which is good. And I love the idea that he learned to be the Messiah and apply his teachings by studying with the other majour established religions/philosophies. Nothing that is pushy or calling out Christians in any way, just a new fun look at it all.

    And the endings, I guess I just don't do well with happy endings. I blame it on all the Frank Herbert and Russian literature I read, but there are very few happy(and happy-ish) endings I like. Heinlein's a good writer for it, but his endings usually come with a severe lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually LOVE this book. I like all of his books, but this is one of my favorites. It's weird because I heard about it from a die hard Christian. They seem to dig it too. I kind of think it helps if you know his other books and characters as there are little love letters to his loyal readers in everything he does - this included. This book just really makes me feel good and I read it at least once a year.

    ReplyDelete